Sunday, December 6, 2015

MY FIRST BLOG

        Who is this blogger?  A middle-aged woman, a mom, a daughter, a wife, a friend, a teacher, a cancer survivor, a Disney fan, a reader, a baker, a home cook...a novice blogger.  

         I have toyed with the idea of writing a blog for a few years, but as often happens, I postponed my wants in favor of my families' wants and needs.  I have always put myself last on my list of important people.  My wants, needs and desires came after everyone else's and often I was too tired to do anything for myself.  I was someone's wife, mom, daughter, teacher...rarely myself.  
       Now at 55, I realize I have lost me and I need to find myself again.  Hopefully, blogging will be part of my rediscovery process.  Since I am fairly certain many women find themselves in this position, I know you can sympathize and empathize with my mixed up emotions.  Life is good; life goes on.  I just want to keep up and enjoy.  

       Why Snowflakes and Secrets? 

        My mom had a passion for snowmen.  They abounded in her home.  While I loved looking at them in their many shapes and forms, it was the individual snowflake that called to me.  I love the uniqueness and beauty of each one.  They remind me of the many different people I have called friend and of the many different children I have been privileged to teach.   Each one has been a unique, one-of-a-kind person.  So special in his or her own way.  I love that first snowfall; watching big fat flakes fall wildly to the ground.  It's amazing to know that singularly snowflakes are beautiful to watch, but put a whole lot of them together and they become a strong force.
        I use snowflakes in my classroom to teach symmetry.  But, more importantly, I use them to teach my students how special each one is...like snowflakes, they too are individuals and special.  We talk about how an individual snowflake changes nothing...it's just something of beauty.  Put a lot of snowflakes together and a storm happens.  People can do the same thing.  One person can make small changes, but a whole group working together can be a storm of change.  Snowflakes are a great symbol of the potential in all of us.
        Secrets.  We all have them  Some should be kept private, but others should be shared.  I teach because I love to share what I know.  With my students, I often share "my secret tricks" to solving math problems.  They love being let in on my secrets.  Blogging, for me, is another way of sharing myself.  So, snowflakes and secrets.  


     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment